Responsibilities of Different Tiers of Local Government

We thought that it would be helpful to outline the main responsibilities for the different levels of Council, to make it clear to residents who they should contact about different issues that may affect them.  Please see the table below; if you are concerned about an issue that isn’t shown here, please contact the Parish Council Office during office hours, and the Parish Clerk will be happy to give you some guidance.

Hextable Parish Council

Tel: 01322 668530


Sevenoaks District Council

Tel: 01732 227000


Kent County Council

Tel: 03000 418181


  • Allotments
  • Annual fireworks display
  • Bus stops
  • Emptying HPC-owned bins/dog waste bins
  • Grass cutting (some on behalf of KCC)
  • Litter picking
  • Maintaining HPC-owned buildings
  • Maintaining the Avenue of Limes
  • Maintaining HPC-owned open spaces
  • Senior trips scheme
  • Tree inspections
  • Building regulation
  • Collecting council tax
  • Development control (i.e. planning)
  • Dog warden services
  • Electoral Services
  • Emptying SDC-owned bins (i.e. the bins in the streets)
  • Fly tipping
  • Housing the homeless
  • Leisure provision
  • Licensing (e.g. pubs, taxis, etc)
  • Maintaining SDC-owned open spaces
  • Managing local CCTV
  • Occupational health
  • Parking enforcement
  • Refuse collection
  • Street cleaning
  • Adoption and fostering
  • Adult social care
  • Business waste
  • Country parks
  • Disabled services
  • Flooding and drainage
  • Highways (e.g. roads/pavements/verges)
  • Household waste recycling
  • Libraries
  • Maintaining KCC-owned open spaces
  • Public footpath management
  • Road safety
  • Roadworks
  • School and adult education provision
  • School buses and school meals
  • Senior bus passes
  • Special educational needs services
  • Street lighting and street furniture (e.g. traffic lights)
  • Trading standards
  • Waste collection and recycling